Trip to the Frank Kanton by Alexander Spack in May 2009
The location of the Volga German village of Seewald, later Verkhovye.
The Volga German colony of Seewald was founded in 1767. Back in 1913 it had 306 households and 1977 inhabitants; it also had a church bulding (Catholic). During the Tzars' reign the village was officially referred to by its Russian name of Verkhovye. After the Autonomous Republic of the Volga Germans was established, the village was officially called by its German name of Seewald. Before the war there were about 250 households and 1,500 people in the village. After the deportation of the local Germans in the fall of 1941, the settlement's official name was changed back to Verkhovye. The village seized to exist many decades ago.
© Эта страница является неотъемлемой частью сайта DIE GESCHICHTE DER WOLGADEUTSCHEN.